Sunday, February 20, 2011

February 16 HIGH TEMPS!!

Okay, just completely scratch off, scratch out, and incinerate my first post as completely irrelevant (the Feb 3 post)....all from February 13 until February 18 absolutely abominated my idea of what is 'warm' considering this time of year (February). A high pressure system originally just halted north of north dakota drawing in warm temps all across the upper midwest. Everybody achieved about mid-30s and much better into montana and dakotas up to the 50s around Sat. Feb 12. Eventually, by monday Feb 14, a complex low pressure system had developed out from near Wyoming beginning a pattern that would continue to draw in very warm air from the south. By the time Wednesday, February 16 hit, we hit 58F!!!..it SHATTERED the old daily record of 47 and ANNIHILATED the MONTHLY HIGH (highest temperature EVER recorded in the month) of 55F...that day truly felt like spring....I mean we had students snowboarding IN THEIR BATHING SUITS, for crying out loud!!! (there is still obviously snow on the ground in February for all upper midwestern states, especially here in Houghton!). After Wednesday, the low had passed by underneath us and was drawing the air in a more easterly direction. However, it only bugged the temps down to around the mid-40s because the air got so warm. By Friday though, the low had moved east enough to draw down a strong north breeze. By Friday, the low 30s made their way back in (with some snow) but at the cost of a HUMONGOUS wind factor. Winds CONSISTENTLY blew down on us at about 50 mph with gusts up to 70 MPH!!! The reason for this was because of the instability caused in the cold air undertaking and replacing the warm air mass that was present.



So afterward, reality had now set back in as the 30s and 20s dominated the rest of the following weeks. However, looking back, I'm starting to see a pretty interesting winter phenomenon settle in over the last few years here. In my first and second years of college, it was obviously the typical winter for all...a consistent snowpack and COLD temperatures all the way into April! I do mean there were some warm days (like 35F haha lol (compared to this year!)). The winter's were exactly as you would expect them to be and everybody was happy (well not really me, just the snow lovers :/). Last year, things started to get a little strange. It was during spring break March 6 (well, after when I got back to tech march 15) when it was evident that spring had arrived early. There were only a couple days afterward when the temperatures fell BELOW 32F!!!!!...the snow had melted in RECORD TIME (unofficially) by late march. For myself, it was the greatest present EVER! I was so happy about it that I had to push the Intramural department to hold softball again since they had canceled it after many years of failing due to still melting snowpack in mid-april. Our ground had been cleared off, dried, and ready for play!
This year (although not officially through winter), warm spells like this have been semi-constant. I can easily imagine (and SUPER HOPEFUL!!) that we will get another EARLY SPRING so that i can hit the baseball field again and enjoy the beautiful outdoors, making my trip to class a little easier....and so with that, I REALLY hope that the weather gives us our warmth...especially this this is my FINAL year here. So I say: "next year, you have it snow in June for all I care! I'll already be outta here!! :D". Of course, I'd only be back on visiting terms possibly next year, but that means I don't have to sit through the cold for several months worth and face all this homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment